Passion is great but it’s exhausting and difficult to sustain. So, today I thought I’d write about the things I look at or reflect upon on a daily basis to ensure I stay on course and as inspired as possible.
So, in no particular order, here’s what they are:
• Gaping Void. I can’t remember when I first came across Hugh’s work, but his cartoons, blog posts, and books all serve as continual sources of humour, inspiration, and challenges to daily life trying to bring ideas to life. They also provide reminders of why I left parts of my old career life behind. Hugh’s work is important, and is extremely meaningful to those with whom it connects. Check out Hugh’s website here, and order a bunch of his stuff – it’s all amazing.
• Twitter. Get on twitter if you aren’t already. Follow people, engage, develop your voice, extend your reach.
• Steve Blank (his website is here). Steve is the customer development guru, and his blog posts, books, and his approach to developing products and services are essential and require continual review. Get out of the building.
• People. All the people in your life. Appreciate them, love them, learn from them, share yourself with them. One day none of us will be here.
• Writing. I write, as much as I can. As important as writing is, sharing what you have written is as important. Ship your posts, now. You can modify as you go a long. If you don’t share, nobody will know.
That’s it. It’s not an extremely lengthy list, but it works for me. It’s simple, as easy for me to remember.
If these work for you as well, great! If you have different things in your list please let me know! I’m always on the lookout for new bullets.